Five ways to invest in mental health at work
October 13, 2020
This past Saturday (October 10, 2020) was World Mental Health Day and this year, the World Health Organization (WHO), United for Global Mental Health and the World Federation for Mental Health challenged people around the globe to #MoveForMentalHealth.
What does that mean? These organizations are calling for a greater investment in mental health.
What can we do? We can find ways to incorporate mental health practices into our workplace culture and day to day activities.
Here are five ideas:
1. Normalize mental health days: Do your employees feel comfortable taking a day off for their mental health? Days off for colds and flus are standard
practice, but what about mental health days off?
Talk with your staff about office expectations around mental health days, and let your employees know where you stand.
2. Try light therapy boxes for seasonal affective disorder: A light therapy box mimics outdoor light. According to the Mayo Clinic, researchers believe that this type of light can cause a chemical change in the brain to lift your mood and ease some symptoms associated with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).
Budget one or two for your office and have them available for staff who need it.
3. Check in with your employees: Have you asked your staff about their scaled-down Thanksgivings? Are your coworkers’ children going out for Hallowe’en?
Navigating seasonal festivities and COVID-19 is tough. Check in with each other: sometimes it helps to have a friendly ear.
4. Move your body: It’s common knowledge that physical exercise improves mental health. Can you find ways to prioritize movement at work? As a start,
encourage employees to stretch and get up from their desks throughout the day. You might also consider introducing lunchtime yoga or fitness classes.
5. Encourage your employees to use their health plan. Remind your coworkers about the services they can access through their employee health plans and
encourage them to use it.
Tell us about it. Share it on social media and tag us on LinkedIn
What has worked for your office?
Better yet, create and share a video.
We're asking members to share their stories all year and this month’s theme is “Falling Into Place.”
Record or upload your video and share it on social media with the hashtags #ThisisMyHR and #cphrSK15years. Each month during our 15-year anniversary, one participant will win a $25 gift card to a local establishment of their choice!
Click here for rules, tips and how to submit.