Validation of Experience (VOE)
The Validation of Experience (VOE) Assessment is the final formal step in earning the CPHR designation.
Experience has always been an integral component in achieving the CPHR designation. This requirement asks HR practitioners to:
- Demonstrate that they have worked in an HR role for a minimum of three years.
- Demonstrate that the total of three years’ experience has been gained within the last ten years.
- Demonstrate that experience has been gained at the professional level, which means that you must be using technical HR knowledge and have a level of autonomy in the application of your HR knowledge. Duties that are purely administrative requiring no HR knowledge do not count. You do not need to be a manager or a supervisor to be able to acquire the necessary experience.
- Demonstrate that 51% or more of their experience is in HR at the professional level.
- Demonstrate that the experience aligns with competencies in at least two of the nine HR Functional Knowledge Areas of the CPHR Competency Framework.
- Note: Specialized depth of experience in one particular functional knowledge area will be considered sufficient.
- Demonstrate proficiency in a minimum of three of the five Enabling Competencies outlined in the CPHR Competency Framework.
CPHR Candidates have ten years to complete the VOE after passing the National Knowledge Exam (NKE).
The nine HR Functional Knowledge areas are as follows:
Candidates can work toward the Experience Requirement in any sector of the economy: industry, government, public practice, professional associations, education, healthcare, or not-for-profits – essentially anywhere that has a human resources function.
- Professional Practice
- Workforce Planning and Talent Management
- Labour and Employment Relations
- Total Rewards
- Learning and Development
- Health, Wellness, and Safe Workplace
- Human Resources Metrics, Reporting, and Financial Management
For a complete list of functional competencies within each HR Functional Knowledge area, please refer to the CPHR Canada Professional Competency Framework.
Validation of Experience (VOE) Guidelines and Processes
View CPHR Saskatchewan's VOE Guidelines and Processes Document
Frequently Asked Questions & Answers
For detailed information on all things VOE, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions.
Validation of Experience (VOE) Process
Once you have passed the NKE and satisfied the degree requirement, you are eligible to submit documentation of your experience for assessment. Satisfying the degree requirement means your official post-secondary transcripts have been mailed to CPHR Saskatchewan's office directly by the institution you attended.
- Complete the Validation of Experience Application Form and return it to:
Fax: 306. 522.1783
Mail: CPHR Saskatchewan Registrar
2106 Lorne Street, Regina, SK S4P 2M5
- Purchase $100 non-refundable Validation of Experience Application fee on the Online Store.
- Upon Successful completion of the VOE Assessment the balance of $400 is due and can be purchased through the Online Store.
|Submission Period Opens
|Submission Period Deadline
- $100 CPHR Validation of Experience Application Fee
o Payable each time a VOE form is submitted for review
- $400 CPHR Validation of Experience Assessment Completion Fee
o Payable upon successful completion of the experience requirement
Notification of Receipt of Submission & Results
Applicants will be notified by CPHR Saskatchewan upon the receipt of their assessment via email. Successful candidates will be notified by email within six to eight weeks of the submission deadline.
Unsuccessful candidates will be notified of gaps in their experience assessment and options available to them within four to six weeks of the dates in the table above. There is no limit to the number of times an individual may apply.